Hiroshima's origins can be traced to the end of the 6th century and beginning of the 7th century when the area began to prosper. At the time, Hiroshima was divided into two regions, Aki and Bingo. Towns prospered along transportation routes through the mountains and on the inland sea.
In 1589 Mori Terumoto, a regional warlord during the warring states period, gave Hiroshima its name and built a castle in what is now Hiroshima City. During the Edo period (1603-1867), modern-day Hiroshima Prefecture was divided into two domains, the Fukuyama Fiefdom to the east and Hiroshima Fiefdom to the west. Under the abolition of Fiefs, the two regions were united into a single Hiroshima Prefecture and the current borders were established by 1876.
In August 1945, Hiroshima City was destroyed in an instant with the dropping of the atomic bomb. Neighboring cities also suffered damage as a result of the war. Through the efforts of Hiroshima’s citizens, the region made an impressive recovery and continues to develop as a center of government, economics, and culture in the Chugoku-Shikoku Region.
Hiroshima prefecture can be roughly divided to the four areas - Aki in the southwest, Bingo in the southeast, Geihoku in the northwest, and Bihoku in the northeast. Each area has its own distinct local cultures, food and customs, making Hiroshima Prefecture a varied and exciting destination for visitors.